Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Trump To Nancy: Oh I Totally Can Strike Iran Without Congressional Approval

Trump To Nancy: Oh I Totally Can Strike Iran Without Congressional Approval


On Monday Trump responded via an exclusive interview with Hill.tv outside the White House: ”
“I disagree [with Pelosi], most people seem to disagree but I do like keeping them…they have ideas, they’re intelligent people, they come up with some thoughts. I actually learned a couple of things the other day when we had our meeting with Congress which I think helpful to me. I do like keeping them abreast but I don’t have to do it legally.”
The War Powers Resolution of 1973 allows a president 60 days to work with Congress on gaining their approval once they are informed within 48 hours of a president’s military strikes against a hostile nation. A president then has 30 days to end those operations. However, the The Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF), a Bush-era resolution passed after 9/11, gives the president authority to “use all necessary and appropriate force” against hostilities by foreign nations.
Rep. Adam Kinzinger, a bit of a critic of the administration’s decision to pull back on the initial planned strikes, told Newsweek he did not think Trump needed congressional approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment